10.23.2012

File Exchange Remix

Remix
Thoughts
For my remix, Lauren presented me with a negative strip of five images of the same subject. Of course, she specified which specific image she wanted me to use, but I was partially influenced by the negative strip itself in my process of remixing her image. When I first looked at the negative, I was drawn to the eeriness of the negative image and how it appeared as if the subject was emitting some harrowing screech. I wasn’t sure what I would do with the image to remix it, but I had created in my mind what I thought the unedited image was going to look like. However, when I went to scan the negative and convert it into a positive image, I realized that the image itself looked nothing as I had imagined. As a positive, it looks as what it depicts—that is, the subject with his mouth opened, not particularly wide, but in a relaxed manner. It is interesting that what I thought the image would look like and the mood of the image was in fact quite different from what it actually was. So, to rectify that, I chose to present the image as primarily in its negative state. I worked entirely in Adobe Photoshop to produce the image. I had both the positive and negative images opened and wanted to somehow combine the two. At first, I considered layering the two over each other, and I tried a few different variations. One of the versions I considered, which is very close to the final image I printed, was layering the two but not exactly right on top of each other. If either the negative or positive was shifted slightly beneath the other, it created this 3D-esque effect that, after some time, I considered to be rather trite. I thought that perhaps having the images as echoes of each other, side by side but also overlapping, would enhance the eeriness of the image I originally had in mind. I used the entire scanned part of the negative, which included part of the consecutive images on the film strip, for the reason that it lent to the duality of the two overlapping subjects.
It was interesting for me to see Lauren’s original print against my own because during the time I was working, I sort of threw away the thought of the original itself. So I found that the moods between the two images were very different. Additionally, my remix of her image is heavily edited and her original is a classic 8x10 inch darkroom print, whose cleanness also appeals to me very much. Our images are similar in size, but not exact. I’d be curious to see either print blown up to a larger size. I had envisioned mine to be larger, but I guess I failed to accurately visualize the scale of the print I made beforehand.
For my original remix, I gave my partner the raw file of an image I had chosen for the Source to Self project. It is one of the images inspired by the work of photographer Uta Barth, so depicts this vague, out of focus and lightly colored scene. Mary Claire chose to present the image as a tile transfer. The similarities in presentation are uncanny as her final version of my image is very close to the size of the print I had made. Additionally, it was interesting to see that the presentation of the image on tile echoed the fact that the image itself was made by focusing the camera on window glass. The white lines of the tile that break up the image mimicked a paneled window, although the context and subject of the image weren’t known to Mary Claire during her work process. I thought her explanation of her process was interesting—how she drew from the amorphous content of the image to further break it down into segments and pieces; that in itself seems to be another theme that I wouldn’t have originally thought of to describe my image.  

No comments: